Two weekends ago was general conference; it was really good to hear all the talks. I was surprised that I was up and ready to listen 1/2 an hour to an hour before it started. Normally I only watch on Sunday because we like to go out on Saturday. The first talk on Sunday really stood out to me, it was by Elder Henry B. Eyring and was titled “Where Is the Pavilion?” (Click here to read it). He talked about his daughter-in-law and how she wanted more children. “Heavenly Father,” she cried, “I will give you all my time; please show me how to fill it”. We have cried to the Lord countless nights/days for a child and he has blessed me with children to babysit. My dear cousin Melissa texted me, “Hey sweet cousin! Thinking of you as I hear the beautiful words of Henry B Eyring. Heavenly Father hears your cries and promises you happiness! Love you!!” I was so grateful for her and her wonderful words of wisdom. I was so thankful for his talk.

I am thankful to know that this life is not the end. In the last 7 months I have lost 2 grandfathers. It is so hard to go to Arizona and know that they won’t be there when I go visit.  My grandfather Herbert passed away on March 17. He had been really sick for the last 10 years and in so much pain. Whenever I went down to visit my family, I made it a point to go see him. It was hard the last couple of times because he didn’t know who I was, and he kept saying he wanted to go home. I would always tell him, “It’s okay, Grandpa. Go ahead and go home. We love you.” I got the call on March 15 that he wouldn’t make it through the night, I called H and D (the couple I babysit for) and just let them know what was going on, and that I’d keep them updated. I didn’t get much sleep that night, which wasn’t good because I had to go to work the next day. I didn’t get a call that night which was good, but not good at the same time. I told them when I went into work that I hadn’t heard anything that morning, but I’d still keep them updated. I went through that day and night without hearing anything, at 4:55 a.m. March 17 my father called to let me know, and that he was with him the whole time.


My Grandpa Herbert
I remember when he would come over, I would tell him that I loved him, and he would reply “you’re crazy.” I knew that was his way of telling me that he loved me back. He was a good man, and at his funeral I learned a lot more about him and the great stuff he did. I’m thankful for his example to me in all the things he has done.  

A few months later, I had received word that my Grandpa Robinson wasn’t doing well either. It was hard to deal with because I had just lost one grandfather. Again I told H and D that I’d keep them updated. Sunday August 5th I had a feeling I needed to get someone to work for me so I could go to the funeral. I knew it would only be a matter of days before my grandpa passed. That night I was told he wouldn’t make it through the night. So I told H and D and they express how sorry they were. It was nice to hear that. I asked if they would be okay with it if I found someone to work for me. They both agreed it would be a good idea so they didn’t have to take any time off work. Monday came and went and I called around to see if anyone could watch the girls. I knew it would be tough because the girls don’t do well with change. It took them 6 months to get used to Justin bringing us lunch. The next day (Tuesday) I had a great person, Brinna, come with me to watch the girls. Justin and I prayed that the girls would understand and love Brinna as much as they love me. They were a little shy towards her at first, but the moment we sat down to play they swarmed around her and wanted to sit on her lap. I was so grateful. That night Justin and I bought plane tickets so we could go to the funeral that weekend. I wish I could have stayed longer, but I didn’t know if Brinna could have watched the girls for that long.

This is my nephew Braxton and my sister’s dog Harley. Braxton was crying, and Harley came in from the family room to comfort him. They both are looking at my grandpa’s casket that my father built.
My grandfather was Thatcher’s Fire Chief for 30+ years.
They had firemen from all over Arizona come and stand in line at his funeral.
My grandmother receiving the flag.

For my grandfather they did a “last call” over the pagers. Never in my life have I witnessed anything like that before, there was not a dry eye anywhere. I was doing so well until they did that. It was a very emotional, spiritual experience for me and I’ll never forget it.

I feel honored to have been able to live down the street from my grandparents, and to get to know them whenever I wanted. In a few weeks or so, I’ll probably lose 2 more of my grandparents, my Grandfather and Grandmother Martin. I wish that our future children could have met the grandparents I just wrote about, but I know I like the feeling of having my grandparents all around me instead of having them been 2 states away. I will always remember the great examples they were to me. I’m so glad that I will still have a grandmother on my side, and a set of grandparents on Justin’s side around to spoil our kids. I have felt my grandfathers near me so much lately and I love that feeling.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *